Telethon Speech & Hearing has become a SunSmart School!
To achieve SunSmart School membership, schools must complete an application questionnaire and forward a copy of their sun protection policy to the Cancer Council WA for assessment.
Janene Hall, Principal of Telethon Speech & Hearing, said that many SunSmart strategies had been successfully introduced within the school. These strategies include:
- The compulsory wearing of broad-brimmed, bucket or legionnaire style hats all year round.
- Using pergolas and other shade structures in the school grounds.
- SunSmart education included in the curriculum.
- Sunscreen available for student and staff use.
- Changes to outdoor activity timetables to avoid peak ultraviolet radiation (UVR) times.
- SunSmart information in school newsletters.
Janene said students, staff and parents were all working together to ensure their school is SunSmart.
Your child’s health and wellbeing are very important to us. Our sun protection policy will ensure that we minimise student’s exposure to the sun and provide an environment that positively influences sun protection behaviour.