Although each child develops at their own pace, there are certain age-appropriate milestones that indicate whether the child’s speech and language development is on track. There are also some red flags that parents and carers should look out for that might be evidence that he or she needs some extra help.
Signs to look out for include if your child is:
- Not babbling by 12 months of age
- Not talking by 2 years of age
- Not putting words together to form simple sentences by 3 years of age
- Not meeting developmental milestones in all areas of development
- Experiencing recurring ear infections or ear pain
- Appearing to miss information or ignores others
- Battling with poor social skills – withdrawing from social interactions
- Experiencing behavioural issues that are different to other children the same age
If your child is experiencing one or more of the red flags, we suggest you contact a speech pathologist or audiologist in your area. Alternatively, you can call us on 9387 9888 or request an appointment online with one of our specialists today.